Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Upgrading your system memory

I consider myself as a geed (hence the name of the blog :) ) and even I took a while to figure out which memory to buy when it came to upgrade by notebook. So I thought I'll write about my experience.

As any geek would do now-a-days I turned to Google - no surprise there? After few minutes of 'googling' here is what I came up with:

Step 1. Find the memory specifications. The easiest thing to do is to go to Kingston.com and use their "Memory Search" tool. I liked Crucial.com also, but I later found out that when it comes to deals in Amazon, Buy.com etc, they are not that great.

Step 2. Once Kingston shows you the part number, copy that go to your favorite online shopping site and search for that part. I tried Amazon.com and Buy.com and ended up buying from Buy.com.

Step 3. Installing the memory is a tricky thing and varies by manufacturer of your systems. So I recommend going back to your user manual.

Happy upgrading!

No comments: